Bhatpara is a suburban town and a municipality under Jagatdal police station of Barrackpore subdivision in North 24 Parganas district in the state of West Bengal, India. It is situated on the bank of Hooghly river. It is known for its rich traditions in the field of Sanskrit learning. The name 'Bhatpara' originates from the ancient name "Bhatta-Palli", where 'Bhatta' denotes the sect of Bramhin Sanskrit pandits and 'palli' denotes locality or village. It is one of the oldest municipalities in West Bengal and it was constituted a municipality in 1899, when it was separated from the Naihati municipality. In the British era and afterwards, it had become an important industrial hub on Hoogly river bank, mainly for the high density of jute processing plants.